TFro3

Gardening Enthusiast
Staff member
DIY Aeroponic Tower Supporter
Aeroponic Assembly Guide Supporter
Super Duper Neighbor
Growing Zone
7a (US)
Once the plants have an established root system the roots just do what they want. I've found that they can grow through the net cup side that is facing down at the net cup holder and sort of bunch up, causing water to backup in the cup and spill over the top.
There are two things I've found you can do so far.
  1. Pull the pants net cup out of the tower and cut off the section of roots that is causing the issue. While it's out of the tower, you can also trim the super long roots and just leave ~6" of roots left. The root system doesn't need to be massive since you're always delivering nutrients directly to the roots. This is actually a good practice anyway because if you don't they roots can extend down into the water reservoir and really suck up the water causing you to refill sooner. There are also other issues that can stem from that, but that's for another post for sure.
  2. Once the roots have been established and are extending past the net cup, you can put a piece of aluminum foil over the side of the net cup that faces "up" that would block the water from coming into the net cup. Water directly into the net cup isn't really needed at this point since the roots are past the net cup. OR if there’s room you can wrap the entire net cup in foil instead of just the top where the water will be dripping on. See my example image below!
7B9220FD-6D16-4170-9687-48B19BD8A385.jpeg

I actually do both of this things to help eliminate this issue. But I will say, keep the roots trimmed on a regular basis starting when the plants are young, or else the plants roots will be so insane you wont be able to get the net cup out of the tower without damaging the plant.

Last edited: